[Spridgets] Engine Test Stand

Tim Collins thcollin at mtu.edu
Tue Nov 27 19:30:20 MST 2012

I have been working on an engine hot test stand using whatever I had
in the garage in the way of salvaged materials. The basic frame is
made from steel framing studs that I picked out of a construction
dumpster. I guess you could say I made it out of 2x4's except they
are steel. Most folks would have gone for larger steel tubing but a
goal was to use what I had and to practice my welding skills on thin
steel materials.

I have a set of pics on Flickr at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/sets/72157632115840269/
These pics show the construction from many stages of construction and
from various angles.

The project is to the point that I have to dress out the engine,
plumb the wet lines, and hook up the electrical, controls, and
gauges  (which I don't have yet).

Don't ask why. This is just a project to keep me busy. I plan to use
it to practice my tune up skills and this setup makes it easier to
fiddle around with the distributor and other stuff. The engine is an
"extra" that I picked up in a parts purchase so a test stand will let
me assess the "health" of the engine.

Tim Collins