[Spridgets] Front wheel bearings

WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com
Fri Mar 23 14:50:57 MDT 2012

Here in the UK it's MOT time for my Sprite soon and recently I discovered a
 small amount of play in the wheel bearings on one side of the car.

As things turned out I left this until I bought some new discs so I can do
discs and bearings together.

Eventually I decided to replace the w/w hub as well.

Since the price of the hub easily exceeded my non-existent budget,
especially after a repair to the household heating/water boiler and an unrelated
fridge replacement, I decided to use the no-name bearing kit I bought from
ebay  some years ago.

After fitting the brake disc to the hub and installing the bearings (new
distance spacer) I was really disappointed to find there was loads of play in
 the wheel - certainly more than I'd want to even think about driving the
car  with.  I wasn't entirely sure I'd got the front / outer bearing in the
right way round so I reversed it (no-name bearings don't have thrust marked)
and  I couldn't see any difference.  I'd already measured the new distance
spacer which was 1.497" whereas taking the old distance spacer from the old
hub  revealed it was 1.500".  So I fitted the longer distance spacer - no
difference.

So, while I'm fairly confident the rear/inner bearing is the correct way
round would it make enough difference to create a huge amount of play?  I
suspect not.

Also my experiences in the past is that I've managed to get the bearings to
 really bind but don't recall ever putting it together with a pile of
slack.

I'm loathe to go back down the garage tonight and reverse the rear bearing
only to find I was right the first time and discover the bearings are  crap.

I've been to Norm's page:
_http://www.mgexperience.net/article/mg-midget-wheel-bearings.html_
(http://www.mgexperience.net/article/mg-midget-wheel-bearings.html)  and  it seems that something is seriously wrong if I can't get
the bearings to go  tight with even the too short spacer.

So - rear bearing wrong way round (can't even remember which way round it
went) or crap bearings?

Weslake-Monza 1330