[Spridgets] 948 Valve Cover

stoney bennett bonas420 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 22 17:49:31 MDT 2012

Good Evening!

In the process of trying to diagnose a "rough idle" / stalling problem that
developed over the weekend, I noticed that the breather (metal 90* elbow at
front of valve cover) partially separated from the valve cover itself. There
is no "seal" thereby allowing "breathing" to occur around the base of seat as
well as through the tube.

In flipping through various parts catalogs, I learned that valve covers w/
breathers are no longer available.Therefore, I have the following
questions that I am hoping someone can provide some guidance on:

-  what are the effects of replacing the "stock" valve cover with a new cover
that does not have a breather?

- the Moss polished valve cover is cheaper than the part offered by VB? Any
insight into which is a better option?

- should I seek out a used stock valve cover in lieu of a replacement?

- in theory, could this broken piece be the culprit of a rough idle / stalling
issue (yes, I realize that there are probably 100 culprits, I just figured I
would ask).

Thanks in Advance!
Nate / Stoney
AN6 in Wmport,PA