[Spridgets] Help With Slave Cyl - Socket Size

Kirk Hargreaves khargreaves2 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 17:21:12 MST 2012

I got my newer rib case back onto the engine.  Checking the throwout
bearing through the top inspection hole on the bell housing. .  the
throwout bearing is resting on the clutch.

For the past few years I have run an outside spring to keep the throw out
bearing from rubbing against the clutch when not in use.  I realize that
this is not the conventional way to do this . . but it seems to have worked
for me in terms of keeping wear off the T bearing.   Actually when I
checked the T bearing after a year of driving there was no noticeable wear
on it at all.  I did replace it with an new older English made T bearing
for good measure.  I shy away from the MOSS T bearings as I had one that
fell apart like cheese a few years ago.

Is my T bearing resting on the clutch because I have been running the rod
out of my slave cyl too long?  Or is the T bearing supposed to lightly rest
against the clutch springs?

Currently the length of the rod is just between 2 3/8's and 2 5/8's from
the center of the hole to the end.  (I have a hard time reading the 16ths).
  And this is the length that I ran "successfully" with a spring for
several years.

Any ideas in terms of where I am doing this wrong?  It bothers me to have
the T bearing constantly resting on the clutch . . just doesn't "seem"
right in terms of the overall wear factor over time.

One more question. . . I need a socket for the large bolt that sits at the
end of the crank inside the balancer on the front of the engine.  Can
someone give me the size I need for this large socket head?

Thanks so much for all of the help over the years . ..

Kirk