[Spridgets] How's the car running?

Mark Haynes haynes386 at netzero.net
Thu Jun 21 08:25:35 MDT 2012

Hey Brian,
Good to hear you have it driving. I had a similar oil leak on my MKII after I
built the 948 for it, I solved it by putting a couple of silicone o-rings
(Just small enough to be snug over the bolts of the tappet covers) on the
bolts under the flat washers. I was going through oil pretty quickly, now its
dry as a bone (sweet after all of the work I put into the car).
RE: Tires-
Are you running the Proxes RA1s or the BFG Comp TAs? I've got some almost worn
out 185/60 Proxes RA1s on my BE and experience the same difference between the
MKII on Sumitomo 175/70 HTR200s as you felt on the 155s. The MKII is
slidey/slippery in the turns where the BE is rock solid when thrown about.
I've been looking for some more RA1s, but after the rep said that they could
do a short run for me and a couple of friends, he reneged and said that they
couldn't do it, so I'm left with either the R888s or the Hoosiers, and I don't
put it on the track, so the Hoosiers are out (10-12 heat cycles and they are
slippery). Any other possibilities that you know of?

Mark Haynes
It only goes one way-Pay it Forward
HAN6L12977
AN5L8016

Message: 1

Hey Phil,

I had meant to send an email out about this.
Car and your engine are running GREAT!
Kevin's tuning is spot on and his carb fix is holding well.
Had a bit of an issue with the car tho, not related to the engine so
I'll get to that in a separate post.

Starts right up, fantastic oil pressure, 40 at hot idle and 60+ at speed.
Hasn't gotten over 190 degrees.
Need to do an alternator swap sometime as the Genny can't keep up with the
lights.

It does seem to be leaking a bit from the tappet covers, I haven't had time
to address it yet, but will soon.
 Weather's been cooperating the last week, so I've been driving it quite a
bit.
My kids are always asking me to pick them up/take them places in it. :-)
Driven it to a few local cruise in type car shows and it always attracts a
crowd.
Many people come and talk about it.
I love letting the kids sit in it, many are a bit shy about it. I'm sure from
getting told,
LOOK, but don't touch anything on all the other cars. There are some cars at
these that
have had LOTS of money invested in them, so I understand that.

Me, I don't care, my Bugeye is not worth big money, it's not a Trophy car,
it's meant to be enjoyed.
Kids always enjoy it, hopefully remember it for a while and even get hooked
on
cars.

Maybe even a Spridget.....

Thanks again Phil for the engine and Kevin for hosting and both for helping
with the swap.
You guys made our Summer. :-)

ps: Only gone over 7000 a couple of times......;-)

Brian S.
Bugeyeracer finally resto'ed!
Thanks to Frank C.!