[Spridgets] Rear Spring question.

CosmicMag1380 cosmicmag1380 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 11:22:20 MDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Brad Fornal <tequila.brad at gmail.com> wrote:
I found that the 68, has a broken leaf on one of the rear springs.
After going through all my parts, twice, I see I only have a set of
springs off of a 65. Does anyone see any problems, or have any caveats
to share, if I were to install these, instead of buying the oversprung
POS that the usual suspects sell?

Brad,

Your 68 weighs a bit more than a 65 did... The spring sets were a
little softer on the 65. Your car would likely sit a little lower in
the rear with those springs. Most of the midyear cars sat low in the
back! If you replace both sides it should sit level laterally and the
handling should be OK but depending on your tire size, you may end up
with a rub problem.

A better choice might be to use the one leaf out of the 65 stack to
replace the broken one in the 68 stack. The tension rating for one
leaf should not affect the ride heigth or handling characteristics of
the original set noticeably. If you need a whole stack, I have sets
off of a 67 and a 69 that should be properly rated as they came from
1275 cars.
--
Kent
1960 Bugeye