[Spridgets] '66 Sprite, stock 1275, California car, overheating question

Kirk Hargreaves khargreaves2 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 22:57:47 MDT 2012

For what it is worth.  I had issues running hot with my 1275 59.  I
replaced the radiator with a Suzuki Swift radiator that was in a car my son
was getting rid of.  A Swift from the 1989 to 1994 model years.  From what
I understand the Swift radiator is the same as a Geo Metro radiator or very
similar?

I run a 160 thermostat and the engine stays at just above 160 degrees
regardless of the summer heat.  It can be 102 outside or above sitting at a
long stop light after driving around town and it will still not budge over
162 -163 degrees.

The radiator and change over to an OER carb (about 9 years ago) are two of
the best things I have done to give me no hassle driving.  (The OER is a
Japanese Weber DCOE 45 that takes all of the Weber internals but also has
an adjustment for the accelerator pump and the float bowl height).