[Spridgets] Electrical Saga part 3 of 3

Dean Hedin dlh2001 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 26 19:08:54 MDT 2012

"It is a bit comforting to know that if the car has a generator(dynamo) and
your battery is dead, the car runs off the generator (once it's started).If
the car has an alternator and the battery gets low or a cable gets
disconnected, the engine quits."

I agree with above but I think it's a pretty rare circumstance that the
battery goes fully dead.  There only needs to be a little voltage in the
field and the alternator will put out.  A jump gets you going.

There are reasons why the industry migrated to alternators. More efficient,
compact, and most importantly, no brushes.

But I wonder, if your battery is fully dead, will your new solidstate
control box work?

The point I'm making here is maybe it might have been easier to just convert
to an alternator in the first place.  I know, it's no longer original
looking, but gosh darn they are reliable.