[Spridgets] Master cylinder maintenance

GUY DAY grday at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 10 15:14:57 MDT 2012

Phil,

The way I see it is that you will probably have to replace all your rubbers
and flush the whole system through.  Methylated spirits would be good to
start with and move onto which ever fluid you intend using.  If DOT 4 is
your fluid of choice and DOT 3 is much cheaper it would be DOT 3 for the
final flush.

In laymans terms (mine) the problem is the molecules of silicone fluid (or
the ordinary brake fluid) soak into the rubbers then, when you put whichever
is the other fluid in, that too soaks into the rubbers and a reaction starts
between the fluids and it this which expands and softens the rubber beyond
normal tolerances.  One fluid on its own does not have the reaction problem.

Silicone fluid does not have the same degree of lubricating properties that
ordinary brake fluid has and this may have contributed to the leak if there
is a slight area of roughness between rubbers and metal.  If you decide to
strip the master cylinder down spend a little time in evaluating where the
leak has come from.  If the brakes are well worn you may find either
adjustment or replacing the braking surfaces may place the master cylinder
parts working back in the 'normal use' area and the leak stops.  Check for
rust in the lower areas of the m/cyl and whl/cyls.

Some people have changed over fluids without having to replace rubbers with
some success but I do feel there is a large element of luck in that process.
Four years is too much to expect.

Best of luck whichever route you take.

Guy R Day