[Spridgets] Brake flares

GUY DAY grday at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 5 14:25:15 MDT 2012

Leo,
I've been using Cunifer10 brake line for over 40 years in conjunction with a
vice mounted Sykes Pickavant Brake flare tool similar to that shown at
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sykes-pickavant-brake-pipe-flareing-kit-/230819237408?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item35bde60e20.
There has NEVER been a problem.  (Except when I've slipped the nut on the
wrong way round then made the flare!)  A Land Rover I re-piped over 25 years
ago is still using sections of the same brake line.    This brake flare tool
is considered to be a good type although it is no longer made.

This would appear to be the 'norm' in the UK although different garages use
different tools.

some resistance from some US listers with some comment showing a lack of
product knowledge.  This pipe has a long corrosion free life, is easy to
bend by hand - although it flattens a little when using your thumb for a
tight bend.  It is easy to flare and clips and nuts will rust away before
the pipe.

Guy R Day