[Spridgets] Po Po - Aliens in the attic - no LBC

CosmicMag1380 cosmicmag1380 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 22:55:55 MDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 2:10 PM, <WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com> wrote:

> In the film 'Aliens in the attic' when the police turn up at the house
> where the aliens are the uncle describes the police as Po Po.  Is this is a
> universal way of describing the police in the USA or something that was made
> up  for the film?

As a retired PO PO, I understand that the term was coined in the 90s and
was mostly used by African-Americans as a slang (and slur) word for the
police, possibly as a payback for the N word. It came along around the same
time that someone tried to legitimize "ebonics" as a true dialect. I have
seen black people wearing T shirts that say, "I ain't afraid of no PO PO".

Apparently they might be afraid of an English teacher though!

Kent
1960 Bugeye
1983 Garage full of spridget parts!
2010 Arrow shed full of excess spridget parts!!!