[Spridgets] Low brake/clutch fluid

GUY DAY grday at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 22 01:36:39 MDT 2012

Hi Linda,

I trust the trip went well.
Brake fluid will not evaporate to any major extent and will normally last
several years without problem.  (Have you ever known an old half full can to
dry out?)
There will be either:
(a) slow leak somewhere or,
(b) it has 'bled' itself a little more and air you didn't realise was there
has surfaced or,
(c) the slave cylinder has slowly pushed out if there was nothing to hold it
back.
If you are only just installing a clutch slave cylinder, what was retaining
the fluid in the system whilst you were away?   If it was an old slave
cylinder, was that leaking?
If it is a slow leak all you may see is a darker coloured area on the
surface dirt spread out in a in more of a circular area than a line going
down.  You may not realise it has leaked if it is clean and dry or, if it
is, there may be just a patch of dust that has stuck to the fluid over time
and your polishing cloth sticks a just little as you wipe it over.  Check
along the master cylinder push rod and covers to the clutch pedal for signs
of fluid along there.

Guy R Day