[Spridgets] Forwarded for Mike MacLean: 3 am

Brad Fornal tequila.brad at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 02:57:35 MDT 2012

   It's hot here in Southern California, real hot.  It is 5:30 PM right now
and it is 115 degrees in my garage.  With that in mind, I am on vacation
and too poor to go anywhere due to funding my two kids college education,
so I decided to make this 3 weeks a stay at home and do all the projects
that have piled up type of vacation.  High on my list is my Bugeye.  I had
to wait until this morning at 1 AM to work on the car.  The temp was down
to a manageable 85 degrees at the time in the garage.  I needed to replace
the Facet fuel pump and fix a nagging fuel leak at the fuel line into the
tank.  I also wanted to install the new sending unit.
     Well, I got all of that accomplished by 3 AM (it was down to 80
degrees by then).  I finally put the car down off the jack and poured fuel
back into the tank.  Holy Crap, what a leak.  Some dumba** forgot to screw
the fuel fitting back into the tank. Duh!  After jacking the car back up
and putting the jack stands back the fitting was in place and the "leak"
stopped.  It was time for the moment of truth!  I turned the key and after
ten years of operating the car using a dip stick for a fuel gauge, I
finally had a gas gauge!  It read half full, so I wanted to be sure it was
working and not just stuck at half.  I took it to the gas station at 3 AM
and filled it up.  It read close to full but just under, but I can live
with that.  What was really amazing was after installing the new Facet
pump, a new fuel filter and fixing the leak at the tank fitting, the car
started right up after sitting for over a week in the garage.  It had never
done that before, or at least it's been so long I don't remember it
starting so easy.
     I have a few more jobs to do on the Bugeye, but it waill have to wait
until 1 AM.  There are some jobs around the house that I can do in air
conditioned comfort at least.
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2
02 Heritage Springer
and a brand new 2012 Honda Accord 5 speed coupe!

--
DON JULIO 1942

http://tequilabrad.com/