[Spridgets] Solid State Voltage Stabilizer

Tim Collins thcollin at mtu.edu
Tue Apr 24 15:04:50 MDT 2012

My project recently has been to make a solid state voltage stabilizer
for my Sprite. Today I installed it and it appears it works OK. My
1966 Spite didn't have a voltage stabilizer as built. The V.S.
supplies a regulated 10 volts to the fuel gauge. Hopefully the needle
should not "jump" quite as much now. I do have an after market gas
tank that doesn't have internal baffles so I'm not holding my breath
for huge improvements. Doesn't really matter because this was a PROJECT!

For the archive: the V.S. came from Jameco part 837441, $1.25 (but
you have to order at least 5), rated at 10 volts @ 1.5 amps. I could
have bought a similar chip at Radio Shack, but the R.S. case was
completely insulated. The ordered chip has a mounting tab that is
also an electrical ground and should also help with cooling the chip.
Plus the Shack was pricey. I included a LED that shows the V.S. is
working. This was all built into the housing of an old style V.S.

Upcoming projects - relays for headlights, heater blower, and horn.
And I bought an LM741 Op-amp to try and make a low fuel indicator. I
don't really "need" to do these things, but they are PROJECTS! (and,
projects are good!)

Tim Collins
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/sets/