[Spridgets] modern starter with 5spd 1275

Andy Webster a_d_webster at yahoo.com.au
Sat Sep 3 20:13:51 MDT 2011

Greetings folks,
I have searched the archives but not found much on this....
am trying to fit a gear reduction starter to my Mk2 sprite , 1275 with
rivergate 5 spd kit.

The starter has the adjustable mounting plate, but the
only orientation I can get it to fit gives about 1mm clearance between the
footwell and 2 areas of the starter body. Not nearly enough as the engine
movement will cause a clash.
To grind or not to grind at the new starter
motor...?

Has anybody dealt with this before?

I found an old post from
Roger Cotting, who had a modern satrter in his rivergated spridget.... not
much helpful detail though, just that he has one and it fits.

Perhaps others
can help.
Cheers,
Andy