[Spridgets] V4 question

corvallis at peoplepc.com corvallis at peoplepc.com
Fri Oct 28 16:04:34 MDT 2011

Shades of Mickey Thompson.
"Based on a 96-inch-wheelbase production Dragmaster chassis covered with a
one piece fully streamlined aluminum body by Jim Burrell, this car was
designed to challenge National and international speed records in the
standing start mile and kilometer distances. The engine was a sleeved and
destroked Tempest designed to fit in international class E (1500-2000
cc91.5-122cu in). On July 9, 1961 at March AFB near Riverside, Thompson used
four cars and five engines to break 14 of a possible 18 records, some dating
back to 1930. This car broke both the National and International records in
both distances.
Pontiac Four-Cylinder Tempest (circa 1961). Pontiac created the four
cylinder engine for its new compact car, the Tempest, in 1960. Literally the
right bank of a Pontiac V8, the engine displaced 194 cubic inches in stock
form. Mickey Thompson created several engines of differing displacements for
various classes."
>From http://tinyurl.com/3wjzyk2
He was setting drag strip records in Classes that hadn't been challenged for
years (Ford Model B engine with a Model C crank; Riley Red Head ohv)
He also cut his 4-cylinder in half (2-cylinder) to set records in a lower
displacement class.
http://tinyurl.com/3bo6cng
There was even a rumor of a one-cylinder but I don't find it with Google.
...bill in corvallis