[Spridgets] Where were you when the LBC bug got you?

kgb at frontiernet.net kgb at frontiernet.net
Thu Oct 27 21:31:58 MDT 2011

I was about 14 when I went for my first ride in an MGA in the early 1960s. I was totally hooked from that moment, and bought my first MG, a somewhat ratty 1952 TD, about a year later when I turned 15 and had my daylight only license.

Mother was, to say the least, not pleased, but was somewhat mollified when she saw that the speedometer stopped at 80. She had always told my brother & I that, if we wanted a car, we would have to buy it ourselves, keep it insured, and take care of our own expenses. I had been driving truck on my uncle's ranch, and circumstances that year allowed him to pay everyone double. It didn't take long for me to learn why 250 pounds of tools were included with the car, but I loved her anyway, even in heaterless north Idaho winters.

I have had one or more of the ghastly little beasts ever since. Madge Midget entered my life as a birthday present to myself in December, 1972. I will confess that I bought her mainly to piss off my ex husband who was militant Irish and hated anything British, but she's still here and he isn't, and she's far more reliable, even when she's broken, than he ever was.

Kate