[Spridgets] More on Silicone brake fluid..

Dean Hedin dlh2001 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 13 18:12:54 MDT 2011

Nice links Lester.

I'm glad he correctly points out the downside of the hygroscopic nature of
glycol based fluids.

I don't buy in to any of the elastomer compatibility issues.  Silicone is
pretty inert stuff (just as it does not eat paint, so is it gentle on the
rubber).  I have disassembled brake system components that have had long
silicone fluid exposures (greater than 7 years) and have seen no degradation
of the rubber parts.

Even if the post on Gerard's site regarding the "lack of lubricity" of
silicone is true (and I think this is a total fallacy), then I will happily
replace my slave rubber every few years then to have to deal with the issues
associated with glycol based fluid.  But I have enough usage time with
silicone at this point to know that this will never happen.

Nothing anyone can post or discuss will ever change my mind.  I am never
going back to LMA.

If any of you have not tried Silicone fluid, well, sorry.  You are missing
out on one of the better modern breakthroughs.