[Spridgets] 1500 fan clutch

Don Herrick dbherrick at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 23:56:26 MDT 2011

For the 1500 engine, what is the conventional wisdom regarding the factory
fan clutch?  Mine is failing and I see where some recommend replacing the
water pump/fan clutch and fan with the solid pump and fan from the 1971-74
Spitfire.  I read that the UK Midgets all use this setup and I like how that
solution should be much more reliable but I am concerned about the possible
downsides.  Is it much noisier than a working fan clutch?  Is there a power
loss?  (I don't think I have a lot of power to spare!)

Don
1979 Midget