[Spridgets] What fluid for clutch master cylinder?

Kitterer Bob bkitterer at me.com
Wed Oct 12 12:39:43 MDT 2011

When we did the restoration in 1997 I put in DOT 5 because I did not want to risk eating the paint.  It was just fine until two years ago when the master cylinder seals gave up.  So I replaced all the seals in the system, master cylinder, wheel cylinders and clutch cylinder.  Regardless of how much DOT 5 I pushed through the system there was no pressure anywhere.  I then ran across some information that said there were no seals for our cars that would work with DOT 5.  That was just at the time we started our travel adventures and the car was put in storage.  We will be moving back onto the house this spring at which time I will be readdressing this problem.

Bob Kitterer and Dolores

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise) - in storage
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes - in storage