[Spridgets] No LBC - Premium fuel

brian S bugeye15 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 12 10:51:42 MDT 2011

Michael and Allison,

If this car has the 1.8 turbo engine, I would NOT use regular fuel.
Timing cannot be adjusted down like the old days, it is computer controlled.
Yes, it does have a knock sensor that can retard the timing a bit if it
detects
a lower grade fuel, but if that knock sensor fails, your engine would soon
after.
Even if she doesn't think she is driving the car hard, these engines build
boost a fairly low rpm
and with that high cylinder pressures. It needs the high octane fuel.
IIRC, she's in the San Fransisco area, lots of hills, requiring boost to get
up them.
Make sure you keep up with the maintenance on it, especially the oil changes
using synthetic oil.
Otherwise they have a sludge issue.

For some more info on it, including consumer reviews, see:

http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/passat/2003/consumer-reviews.html

Hope this helps and good luck with it!

Brian S.
Bugeyeracer finally resto'ed!
Thanks to Frank C.!

> Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 20:02:24 -0400
> From: mdrowe at optonline.net
> To: spridgets at autox.team.net
> CC: amakrowe at gmail.com
> Subject: [Spridgets] No LBC - Premium fuel
>
> Younger Daughter ended up with a time crunch and had to buy a 2003 VW Passat
from a friend because it was available immediately - not the car she would
normally consider.  It has a fancy engine and wants premium gas.  Will regular
gas do damage if she does not drive the car hard?  Should the timing be
adjusted?