[Spridgets] And the verdict is? Broken half shaft!

Hal Faulkner frog.aye at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 20:40:55 MDT 2011

When the left half shaft on FROG AYE was broken, I had to pull the
differential also, good excuse to clean 40+ years of road grime off the axle
(think of all the unsprung weight I've saved!!)  My local LBC mechanic
helped me pull the diff apart to get the piece out, I don't think he was
even going to charge me, but I asked and he said $18.
Being as I love to make "special tools" I made a tool to hold the flange
while turning the prop nut.  Just a long (2 ft or so) piece of steel with
holes drilled to mate up to the flange.  IIRC the torque required is in the
neighborhood of 140 lb-ft, so you do need a fairly stout tool and a
reasonable amount of leverage. The rear flange from a dead drive shaft can
also be modified to make a very useful tool to set the bearing pre-load.  If
you want more info let me know.
Hal