[Spridgets] price of used 1500 engine?

Brad Fornal tequila.brad at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 11:04:18 MST 2011

I bought a 69 Midget, that "ran when parked". The seller had washed the
engine down, prior to placing it in his garage to store for the next two
years.  He offered it to me for $900, so I told him "start it up". Of
course, it wouldn't even turn over. After 6 weeks of WD-40 down the spark
plug holes, he gave up and sold it for $200. I had a friend tow me home,
and I also, was quite tempted to pop the clutch to free up the engine. I am
glad I didn't.
Pulling the head revealed two rivulets of rust on the side of the cylinder
wall, from where water had gotten into the carb, at the last wash before
storing. They were about 1/8" tall, and it took Marvel Mystery Oil to
moisten them, and a small screwdriver to scrape them down. Once knocked
down, some more MMO on sandpaper to smooth the wall. Then, 1/4" MMO on top
of the pistons, and we started working the pistons back and forth, using
the front pulley nut for leverage. It freed up almost instantly, and once
assembled, ran strong, with no smoking.
Yes, you can pop the clutch, but you might break some rings.

Brad

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 10:28 AM, <jwagaman1 at comcast.net> wrote:

> What would be a reasonable price for a used but running 1500 engine and
> separate price for correct transmission?
>
> I just purchase a nice looking 76 midget with a b frozen engineb .  Seller
> said it started about 1 year ago?? In your opinion, would it be a dumb
> idea to
> push car then pop clutch to see if it would loosen engine??
>
> Jeff

DON JULIO 1942

http://tequilabrad.com/