[Spridgets] Tranny and hardtop questions

Mark Haynes haynes386 at netzero.net
Thu Nov 17 08:53:27 MST 2011

Since its winter where I am, driving the sprites is not an option at this
point in time, so its time to address some issues.

First, The new/used trans that I put into the MKII whines in first through
third, so its apparent that the layshaft bearings are near their end of life.
Can the layshaft be removed without dismantling the cluster (I don't want to
get into where the phrase clusterf*** came from, but that might be what I wind
up with if I dismantle it)?

Second, The BE came with a BMC hardtop (as some of you know) It doesn't fit
exactly right- it wants more distance from the windscreen post to the hood
support than there is (by ~1/2"), placing it on the MKII, the 'bumps' that
help clear the lift a dot posts aren't lining up correctly. Does anyone have a
BMC top on a MKII that also fits their BE?

Mark Haynes
It only goes one way-Pay it Forward
HAN6L12977
HAN5L8016