[Spridgets] Are you a Cold War Vet? Or entitled to a medal?

Robert Evans b-evans at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 15 13:18:36 MST 2011

 Dave KK7SS  wrote:  "The best award I received was in November 1958 when I
was finally promoted to the rank of civilian <g>"

While in the Navy, I was reading Herman Woukbs The Caine Mutiny in which he
wrote:

.     b
The Navy is a master plan designed by geniuses for execution by
idiots.  If you are not an idiot, but find yourself in the Navy, you can only
operate well by pretending to be one.  All the shortcuts and economies and
common-sense changes that your native intelligence suggests to you are
mistakes.  Learn to quash them.  Constantly ask yourself, 'How would I do this
if I were a fool?.  Throttle down your mind to a crawl.  Then you will never
go wrong.b

.     So, I got out my Navy ditto master, typed the quote on my Navy
typewriter, ran it off on Navy paper on a Navy ditto machine and sent it to
friends of mine around the Navy base through Navy Yard Mail.

Of course it can be used by civilians to describe ANY organization, employer,
government agency, etc:

.    b
The _______ (Post Office, Boeing, City of _____, etc.)  is a master
plan designed by geniuses for execution by idiots.