[Spridgets] really dumb question, dont laugh

Jim Seippel aseippel at austin.rr.com
Tue May 31 09:57:52 MDT 2011

I have done it both ways. I find it much easier to pull the engine
separately. I have never had a problem lining up the engine as long as I
have used a lineup shaft to center the clutch disk and put a jack under the
transmission to help line it up and hold it steady.

That said, here are rules I would use to make the decision to pull only the
engine. Any of these would make me decide to pull the engine separately.
1. I only have a chain hoist available.
2. I am working by myself.
3. It is late model body (it is harder to clear an engine/transmission in a
late model body).
4. I don't need to work on the transmission.

Rules to favor a decision to pull the engine/transmission together.
1. I don't want to pull the hood.
2. I have a helper
3. I need to work on the transmission.
4. I don't care if I spill transmission oil on the floor.
5. I have a portable engine crane available.
6. I have a Datsun 5-speed transmission installed.

Jim