[Spridgets] Fuel Delivery Issue Resolved. . I Hope

Kirk Hargreaves khargreaves2 at gmail.com
Mon May 30 14:40:56 MDT 2011

So on Saturday my wife wants to go to a local parade in town to watch the
expressions on our 2 year grandsons face . .  I decide to follow up later in
the Bugeye.

I am stuck in horrible traffic, but running smoothly as I am wondering why
the heck I decided to try and get there later on.  . due to the traffic and
all the cops directing things.

Then my car begins to cut out as though I am out of gas.  The gauge shows a
1/4 tank . . but the gauge is not always that accurate.  At this point I am
stalled along the side of the road.  A few minutes later it fires back up
and I am able to make it to a gas station to find that I did have about a
quarter of a tank.  I top it off and drive it to an area where I can further
look at it.

It runs again. .  perfect.  Then it cuts out again leaving me stranded in
front of a restaurant.  I wait, it runs (and runs smooth) to get me home.  I
pull into our neighborhood and see a garage sale sign on the neighboring
street.  . so It stalls again while I am half way to the garage sale . .
stupid thing to do . . should have taken it back to my garage.   It starts
again and runs like silk back to my garage.

I take off the fuel filter to find that a nipple had closed in on itself
leaving only a pin size hole for the gas to get through.  I find a new
filter in my parts and change it out (something I should have done a long
time ago).  Then I find that the wiring to my electric fuel pump is dodgy.
. as it is beginning to lose it;s connection.  I take a couple strands of
copper wire from another wire. .  and after cleaning the heads of the wire
to the pump with my drill and a wire brush attached . .I wrap the strands
around my wires . .re-solder the connection with the small wire strands
wrapped around to hold it together, slide the shrink wrap up over the
connection and shrink it down.  . and re-start the car . .* which then blows
the fuse that runs in line with the circuit.
*
I then replace the fuse with another of the same value and it is all running
like silk again.

Why do you think the fuse blew?  First time for a fuse to blow on me for 7
years . . so at this point I am wondering if the new fuse will hold?  (I am
keeping spare fuses in the car).

Would the new connection.  . being a solid connection to the Facet.  . have
been enough to throw the system and cause the fuse to break?

I hate not knowing why a fuse blows when it does not seem that it should
have.  .  ?

Any ideas are appreciated!

Kirk

59 1275