[Spridgets] Trans Leak and Suspension Question

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Wed Mar 16 11:31:50 MST 2011

     I took my Bugeye out for an errand yesterday.  Great fun.  A couple of
problems I am having are not getting better by themselves.  I need to pull the
engine and transmission so I can swap out the after market synchros that Paul
used when he rebuilt my trans with an original Datsun set he sent me, but
there is another problem with the trans.  It is leaking, bad.  While I was at
Lake of the Ozarks for the 50th celebration, my speedo angle drive loosened up
and fell off.  As low as it is, gear oil started to leak out.  I have since
re-installed the angle drive.  Not easy through the shifter hole, but it
continues to leak.  Any of you recently install a Datsun trans remember if
there is some kind of a sealing washer used with the angle drive?
     The other problem is with the suspension.  Hard left turns produce more
body roll than hard left turns.  Could this be a problem with the camber of
the wheels?  I suspect this because the last set of front tires I had on the
car wore differently.  The left side had a lot of wear on the inside of the
tire tread.  I have had the car aligned, so that is not in the equation.
Anyway a bad alignment would not produce more body roll on one side than the
other.  Any ideas.
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2