[Spridgets] No LBC....PC speed

BJNoSHOV8 bjshov8 at tx.rr.com
Tue Mar 15 20:53:01 MST 2011

Well of course anything that Time Warner tells you can be expected to be
in their best interests and not your best interests.  I laugh at the
Time Warner Roadrunner television commercials saying how blazing fast
their internet is.  If you want to see fast (not!) then go to Time
Warner's own email website:  https://webmail.tx.rr.com/   Some days it
loads fast, other days it might take several minutes to load.  At work
yesterday I never could get it to load.

Using this thread as in informal poll, it seems that the Verizon FIOS
users are getting the highest speeds.  I was going to say that generally
any ISP, phone company, maybe even any public utility company, is going
to be mediocre at best.  They are selling a service that is such that
they are somewhat of a monopoly.  They can sell a mediocre service, even
have outages, and still get paid.  Think about it- what product can you
sell and only deliver 80% or 90% of the time, but still get paid for the
full 100%.  My home internet goes out 1 or 2 or 5 days a month, but I
still have to pay the full monthly fee.  I don't have any options except
to contract with a cellphone company instead.  My theory is that the
companies provide service that is just barely good enough to allow them
to stay in business and nothing more.  The sole exception to this might
be Verizon FIOS.  From what I have heard about them, their product is
generally better than the rest, and certainly faster.  It seems that in
the areas around here that get FIOS pay less for it than what we pay for
Time Warner.

Back to the subject though- I think it is useful periodically to run
speed tests just to see how our current internet provider is doing.  You
might think it is good and won't get better, well it might not get
better, but it could certainly get worse.

If you look back on my own results- I did a test at work and then a test
at home.  We pay a lot of money at work for a high speed connection
through Time Warner business class.  I have a normal Time Warner cable
connection at home, but my home speed was faster than my speed at work!
If I didn't test the speeds I wouldn't know how badly we are getting
cheated at work.