[Spridgets] Bearings

Bert Shirey bertshirey at zoominternet.net
Sat Mar 12 09:38:55 MST 2011

     Ok, I scraped some of the bits out of the filter and put them in an
aluminum can with solvent to separate them from  sticky oil. I would think if
they were magnetic, they would leap to the magnet, but they appear
indifferent. I know that is vague, but at this point, I believe the particles
are not  magnetic, though they could be some kind of soft alloy. Very shiny
and soft.

    I know I can`t get a proper picture of this till I get the pan down and
the bearings out to see what's in there.

     Magnetic seems to be important. What would non-magnetic indicate. Good or
bad. Aren`t the bearings composed of layers of different material? Then the
softer upper layer would go before the harder part.

    What I hope is that I caught this before failure is catastrophic.

Bert