[Spridgets] Taxes

Robert Duquette robertduquette at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 4 08:29:00 MST 2011

Probably the part that makes people think, is that all loopholes and
deductions (theoretically) get removed under the flat tax system and everyone
is then taxed on actual income, not income after deductions.

So, the math becomes simple under flat tax ... but it is not currently simple.
So it is hard to imagine what income ( after creative accounting and legal
deductions are made ) someone is paying taxes on.
Plus there are rules like
these:http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.htmland then the
provincial:http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html#provincial
statscan has all kinds of statistics on income demographics.  Near as I can
figure with the little effort I am willing to put in, in 2008 in Canada,
approx 2/3rds of the population reported income.  24,713,470 people. Of those,
14,361,930 earned less than  $35k, 9,026,610 earned between 35 and 100k and
1,342,930 earned over 100k.  ( how much over $250,000 is an unknown, so it
gets even more difficult to figure out the tax dollars paid by that group )
That translates to 58% lower; 36.5% middle; and 5.5% upper incomes.
Knock yourself out:http://www40.statcan.gc.ca/l01/cst01/FAMIL105A-eng.htm
Robert