[Spridgets] Any thoughts on this eBay Bugeye?

fastvee fastvee at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 12:23:14 MST 2011

Hi Lin,
I think the suspension is rather crude, and does not following good design
practice. On the front suspension having an upper A-arm is a good idea, but
even if the two mounting tabs are 1/4" they don't seem to provide much
resistance to caster change during braking. The mounting tab for the front
anti-sway bar is probably flexing considerably, which may be why it looks like
it is bent while the suspension is in droop. There isn't enough detail shown
to critique it further, but the tube shock mounting could be another problem
area. The rear suspension looks like it was not designed to go around corners
because the spring base is so narrow, and the shocks are mounted vertically as
to provide little resistance to chassis roll. The spring rate and damping
would be digressive and unresponsive to tuning adjustments. The upper shock
mounts are pieces of angle iron without gussets which means lots of flexing.
We can't tell what the geometry would be as you can't
 see the upper links. The springs would need to be stiffer than needed due to
the shock mounting and still not provide a stable platform. About the only
thing I like are the lower links. It is another way to provide longitudinal
and lateral axle location with minimal weight and lowers the roll center, but
may be a bad match for the rest of this suspension. A low roll center with a
long moment arm above it and little resistance to roll because of the spring &
shock location and I can imagine this car lifting a front wheel while
cornering on the street. I think this car would be a handful. Just my two
cents.
John
Fogelsville, PA