[Spridgets] Spring washers don't work !

bjshov8 at tx.rr.com bjshov8 at tx.rr.com
Thu Jun 23 08:40:10 MDT 2011

In heavy construction the bolts that are used to connect steel beams are a high strength material, significantly stronger than the bolts sold at HomeDepot.  Bolted connections in structural steel are designed to utilize the full strength of the material, and it is hard to develop that strength if the bolts are not lubricated before installation.

I've seen demonstrations of this using a Skidmore-Wilhelm machine.  They put a bolt in the machine, put a bag over the gauge so you couldn't see it, then tightened the bolt to the proper torque.  Then they would reveal the gauge and you could see what tension developed in the bolt.  This demonstration was done with a variety of bolts such as straight out of the package, slightly rusted, lubricated, etc.  The lubricated bolts would develop their full tension, the others wouldn't.