[Spridgets] Spring washers don't work !

Matt P pfeilmat at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 23:17:39 MDT 2011

I think in aerospace applications assembling hardware dry or wet depends on
the application. The airplane I spend my days toiling on we have tables for
wet and dry torque. We also have instances where anti seize is to be applied
or even some other types of lubricants to the threads of hardware  as
specified by engineering. There is one instruction that I get a chuckle over
each time I do it. I have to apply this stuff called lube-loc to the hardware,
torque to 95 lb in and then wait 30 minutes and re torque to 95 lb in. The
fastener is never loose when the second torque is applied. That's same size
fastener in a dry application is to be torqued to 29 to 44 lb in. The same is
true for hydraulics (my specialty). We have wet torque figures and dry torque
figures.

I have never worked for NASA just the USAF, but I can say without a doubt, my
airplane flys second highest when compared to the Shuttle!

Matt P

Sent from my iPod

On Jun 22, 2011, at 9:19 PM, Dave KK7SS <kk7ss at frontier.com> wrote:

> A thought springs to mind.
>
> When I was contracted at NASA I was told that
> a) All bolts, nuts, etc were to be assembled dry (not lubricated),
> b) A lubricated bolt would not torque down correctly due to the change in
friction and would be subject to greater stress.