[Spridgets] Likely Pilot Bushing problem + cam question (clutch issue)

Gerard pixelsmith at gerardsgarage.com
Sat Jun 18 11:09:41 MDT 2011

Hi Steve,

The one that occurred with the carbon disintegrating happened very
suddenly and rapidly got worse. It hadn't been in the car that long,
so I thought it was the clutch that had failed as it became very hard
to shift (as you described). Once it starts to fail, it doesn't take
long to completely come apart.  As far as the failed pivot. That would
take a long time to develop, but would fail suddenly as well.

They do make a roller bearing, but I've heard mixed results with how
well they work and I don't have personal experience with one.

The carbon bearing are usually fine, but then again, I don't have a
lot of confidence in a lot of the reproduction stuff these days. I
don't know about the ones supplied separately, but I think the Borg &
Beck kits are still made in the UK. I have discovered recently that
the friction material on the discs is about 10% narrower than
original, so it a not a good idea to use a new disc with an old
pressure plate. I haven't been able to confirm it, but I suspect that
the new pressure plates have a different spring rate.

Let me know what you discover about the problem.

Gerard
http://gerardsgarage.com/