[Spridgets] [midgetsprite] British Car Week

brian S bugeye15 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 6 09:55:49 MDT 2011

I didn't get to take my Bugeye out this week either.
When I pulled my head after blowing a head gasket earlier this year, (1098)
I discovered that there was a line etched between  cylinders #1 and #2.
I can't skim hte head anymore since it's been cut about .100 already.
machine shop guy says not that big a deal as he can weld the spot and then
skim that part flat. I do have another 1098 head, but the one one the car has
already
been ported. Decisions, decisions.
After popping the head gasket off, I discover that there is pitting on the
block
between also. ugggggh. looks like I have to pull the engine.
Was hoping to be able to put that off til this winter.

Choices I have to make:
1. Rebuild present 2 inch main 1098, I have a new standard crank and a set of
.030 over
pistons. (although it seems one piston is missing an oil ring) gonna be fun to
find that.

2. rebuild a small main 1098 (that smokes) that I have sitting around. would
make for a possible
1 day pull and swap.

3. bite the financial bullet and get a 1275, probably have to get it rebuilt.

Probably could get away with $1500-2000 to do the 1098s, but
looking at $3-4000 if it needs pistons, (likely) for the 1275.
plus a new clutch setup, that I really didn't want to spend just now.

Son graduating High school and needs a laptop for college, Mustang needs
tires, wife's birthday comin up....

decisions, decisions, decisions

Brian S.
Bugeyeracer finally resto'ed!
Thanks to Frank C.

> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 7:25 PM, <miniac7 at aol.com> wrote:
>

> >  I certainly hope you are all enjoying your British cars this week. It's
> > almost over, so if you haven't already been, get out and drive yours more
> > than usual. This weekend I'll be on a two-day 750 mile Mini Lap of
Virginia