[Spridgets] Starter electrical question

Kevin Valentine kevinv1275 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 22:50:00 MDT 2011

ALL,

I'm working on a Midget that would start when cold, but will not turn
over very fast when warm or hot.  I know the problem was the starter
but would like to know why?  Why will a warm or hot starter not work
as well as a cold starter?  More resistance? Closer clearances?

At first I thought it was the battery, but I put in a new (fully
charged) battery while the starter was hot and it would not spin fast
enough to start.  I let it cool down and it spun quickly again.  I
took the starter out while it was hot and could barely get it to spin
on the bench....  After it cooled, it spun freely.

I've changed the starter and all is well.

Kevin V.
Tuscarora, Pa