[Spridgets] Working on the car, this time for real!

Andrew Payne andrewpayne at intrex.net
Sun Jul 31 12:23:27 MDT 2011

I know I've said many times on this list that I'm about to put the new panels in my car, but I just took the air chisel to it so this time I mean it!
I've braced the door openings with a 2x6 and another between the two. The car currently sits on wheel dollys. I have removed one outer sill, the driver's side. The floors and outer sills are badly rusted. I will replace floors, both inner and outer sills, pillars, and many additional patches.
Many have suggested rolling the car to its side, but I question the stresses on the car. Does anyone have thoughts on the best order of replacement, and how to approach the task?
My repair manual indicates that it is best to do floors with the car resting on the ground. I have very little good metal and little strength, with few places to weld to in the early steps. I don't want the car to crack like an egg.
Thanks for the help!
Drew