[Spridgets] Brakes 66 Sprite

Bill L pythias at pacifier.com
Tue Jul 19 08:04:19 MDT 2011

Hello Lindalnhvt,

     I am aware of the difference. ..

     the "receiver" of the E-brake cable on my '66 was bunged up since
     I got the car. It's that little odd shaped piece that bolts to
     the frame into which the cable sheaf ends. It's where the
     adjuster nut for the e-brake does it's thing. Mine was bunged
     enough to make it very difficult to make those adjustments. That
     part is not in any catalog and there's really no reason for
     anyone to ever remove one so they're very hard to obtain, making
     replacement problematical.

     I looked at swap meets for years and finally one showed up,
     complete with PUSH RODS! I really wanted the little pins too so
     YIPPEE!

     This spring was my chance to replace that housing so I figured
     since I was doing that I could do a brake job at the same time. I
     replaced the housing and rods all as one piece but when we tried
     to hook up the RODS to the brakes, they were too SHORT! one side
     fit but the other was never going to make it. I went back under,
     took the rods off and we compared. Sure enough; different sizes.

     I've heard that many people thread those rods and put in a
     turnbuckle to make adjusting the e-brake less of a chore, but
     perhaps they've replaced rods and found what you and I now know
     and need the extra length.

--
Best regards,
 Bill L.                           mailto:pythias at pacifier.com

 '66 Sprite MKIII HAN8L49403   "the red thing"

  Heredity is what sets parents of a teenager wondering about each other.