[Spridgets] trailer tire pressures

Guy R Day grday at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 15 12:30:37 MDT 2011

The old way to determine if a tyre was correctly laden was to load the
trailer and rub a chalk line across the tread, drive in a straight(ish) line
for a few hundred yards and have a look at the line across the tread.  Worn
in the middle - too high, worn at the edges too low.  Worn away, driven too
far - not worn, drive further!
I'd try starting at 35- 40psi.
Another way was to drive the car and trailer a few miles then feel the
temperature of the tyres on car and trailer.  They should feel about the
same, if they're hotter the pressure is too low.
Too high a pressure will make the trailer bounce about and can cause
skipping whilst braking and cornering.

If the tyres are a max 50psi, IMHO it sounds as if they are car tyres and
not trailer tyres.  They usually have a higher max pressure and are a
sturdier construction.

Guy R Day