[Spridgets] Personalized LBC plate question

Rick Bastedo rbastedo at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 19:19:33 MST 2011

For my daily driver Midget (that I actually drive every day) I have regular
plates and pay the tabs and taxes every year.
The car is on my State Farm policy and I'm currently paying more than I do
for our family van.
I try very hard to obey the speed limit, I have had one speeding ticket in
the past many (too many) decades and that was when I first got the Midget
and was unaware of just how fast it can be. (88 mph in a 70 zone).
My state has a great thing when you get one ticket you can agree to pay the
fine and not speed any more and they will erase it from your record if you
remain ticket free for one year. Thus I have no speeding tickets on my
record.
I park legally, have had no parking tickets ever.
Sure I may do 72 in a 70 zone from time to time, but it's not intentional.
I'm seriously very boring, if you look at things like traffic citations for
excitement.
If I were using a car with classic plates as my DD then I'd agree, I'd have
no room to bitch.

Here is my beef.
I have this other Spridget that I don't drive for about 2/3 of every year.
It has classic plates and classic insurance through Grundy.
My policy states I may drive my car for pleasure use.
State law in my state says I may drive my classic car for pleasure use and
on club business and to and from shows, or if I need to have work done on
it.
There are a lot of good valid reasons I can use to drive my classic car and
remain legal.

Three or if I'm very lucky 4 months of the year I can, should I choose, get
in my Sprite and head out where ever it's whopping 40 HP will take me.
If I happen to be out and think I ought to pick up a case of beer or a loaf
of bread before going home so be it.
What I don't want to have to do is think about what I'll say to a cop about
why I am driving my car if I get pulled over.
That's just wrong.
What I don't need is some local cop who thinks he knows better than me about
when and where I can drive my classic pulling me over and flipping me any
shit.
I will explain the state law and the terms of my insurance to the cop.
I will have a printout of these items ready to hand to the cop.
If he decides to issue a citation I will see him in court.
It ain't like I'm runnin' bootleg in the trunk or smuggling pot (wait,
that's still a thing right?)

I've gone to court over less and made the cop look like the idiot he was
just to prove the point.
Judges don't like cops who waste their time and can be very harsh toward
them.
Prosecutors also don't like having their time wasted.
I'm simply not going to put up with it - Period.

Rick (mad as hell at the moment, it will pass...) Bastedo