[Spridgets] revisit to yapered wheel bearings

Ron Soave soavero at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 07:52:31 MST 2011

Same here, knock wood. I DID have issues because of the way the races of
certain bearings' inner diameters not having a compatible radius with the
wheel hub. If you follow the MGB procedure, you can get shims from McMaster
Carr. Just call Peter C. and he'll hook you up with everything you need.
While you're at it, I highly recommend Mini Mania's billet hubs. There are not
cheap, but not absurd either.

Ron

--- On Sun, 2/13/11, fastvee

"Leo" <60bugeye at cebridge.net>
> Date: Sunday, February 13, 2011, 6:00 AM

Leo,
> I installed taper rollers in my SCCA race car many years
> ago because
I felt
> they would hold up better with the large wheel offsets and
> 8" wide
slicks, and
> the frequent disassembly. I followed recommended practice
> of
using shims and
> the original distance spacer so the nut could be torqued

like the ball
> bearings are. Essentially you would use the MGB front

bearing adjustment
> procedure. The car has been through several owners since
> then and is back in
> my hands, and the bearings and spindles still look
good. I
> still use ball
> bearings in my 74 Midget because there isn't a
compelling
> reason to change,
> and they work well enough. Here is an
excellent article

http://www.mgexperience.net/article/mg-midget-wheel-bearings.html
> John

Fogelsville, PA

> --- On Sun, 2/13/11, Leo <60bugeye at cebridge.net>
> wrote:
>
> From: Leo <60bugeye at cebridge.net>
> Subject: [Spridgets] revisit to
yapered wheel bearings
> To: spridgets at autox.team.net
> Date: Sunday, February
13, 2011, 4:34 AM

> I know this subject has been visited before BUT  what

is the REAL world
> consensus on the long term reliability of the tapered
wheel
> bearing
> conversion such as http://tinyurl.com/63d2bnu   .

Anybody that has done
> the conversion and had success with it (high mileage

success)?  Any
> failures?  I have seen and experienced a spun bearing
> /
ruined hub and want
> to avoid the issue again but I also question the wisdom
of
> changing a
> "heavily factory engineered"  component (engineering
> which
far exceeds the
> capabilities of the typical car owner).  A
> catastrophic
failure at speed
> (low or high) of the front end is not a failure I want to

experience.

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

Unsubscribe/Manage: