[Spridgets] Rust prevention

Michael Rowe mdrowe at optonline.net
Tue Aug 30 14:16:14 MDT 2011

One shelf of engine parts was awash in Irene, some plastic bags and boxes leaked that shouldn't have, and some things floated in 16" of water and fell over.  Everything that got wet is now out, rinsed, and drying in the beautiful weather that followed .  I will cover everything with a rust preventative and rebag, etc.

The first thought is to embalm everything in WD40, but rust is caused by oxygen, not water.  How is WD40 as an oxygen barrier?  If I manage to keep everything dry, what is the best barrier for stored parts?  Purchased parts are often covered in something really gooey.

Michael Rowe
Recovering evacuee
Long Island, NY