[Spridgets] Sad News...

Steven Michelsen stevenm at optonline.net
Tue Apr 12 08:17:33 MDT 2011

I am stunned.

I was attending my first Britfest show, probably in 2002, and was speaking to someone or other, when they pointed and said in a hushed tone, "Do you know who that is?  That's Frank Clarici".  He was clearly "THE ONE".  Of course upon meeting him I discovered he was an affable, all around nice guy.  A few years later I got to be involved in a few early OSHIT events, including one at my house, to rescue my own Midget from brake failure (see http://1978mgmidget.com/OSHIT_event.html ).  Then there were Frank's thousands of group posts - always something to learn, often funny to read, written by a guy with encyclopedic spridget-knowledge, always ready to share and help.

What struck me about Frank is that, from the half-dozen times or so that I met him, and the sometimes-daily postings over the years, is that it seemed to me that he lived life in high gear.  Busy family life, running his own business, and the nonstop spridget projects - both his own cars, and famously, everyone else that needed help with theirs.  The hours he happily devoted to "the other guy's" cars were unequalled.  Then to fill the tiny gaps after all of that, he found time to enjoy little things like the antique bike motor - just the other day.

I had a lot to do today - last minute taxes, cars that need tending, a trip to the DMV, household chores.  But I can't seem to focus on any of it.

Steve