[Spridgets] Fuel Gauge and Float Check

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Wed Sep 29 16:10:25 MDT 2010

On 11/13/2009 1:35 PM, Hotmail wrote:
> Hello Group.
>

> I have recently purchased a '73 Midget with a broken fuel gauge. As a winter
> project I would like to "fix" it. How do I "test" the circuit - gauge and
> float outside the car? Having 2 of each I check continuity with an Ohm meter
> and the reading was full scale.  I than hooked up one pole of the fuel gauge
> to the Bat + the second to the + pole on the float and second to ground. I
> do not get any reading on the gauge when I move the lever on the float. What
> am I doing wrong?

Hook + to the "B" (battery)(double terminal side) side of the gas gauge,
hook a wire from the "T" (tank) side to the tank unit terminal.
Hook a - (ground) to both the tank unit and the gauge.
Now move the float, the gauge should move.
do remember that a 73 uses a voltage stabilizer, you do not need to have
this hooked up when testing the gauge but the readings will be off
without it.
It should show full and empty when you raise/lower the float.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ