[Spridgets] preventing rear seal leaks

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Mon Sep 20 05:41:14 MDT 2010

On 9/19/2010 11:12 PM, Jess Power wrote:
> I want to place a 5 speed transmission in a 1959 bugeye.What is the best
> way to stop front and rear seal oil leaks assuming the engine is
> properly vented?The transmission will probably be a Datsun 210 with
> Rivergate conversion, but I am open to suggestions if there is a better
> way to go.Thanks

Front engine oil leaks.....
Make sure the front engine plate is NOT bent, a bent plate will drive
you nuts, it's one of those things that you don't look for but if
someone else pryed on it one time, it could be bent. I have 2 bent front
plates thanks to someone else.
Use a new non asian made timing cover seal, be sure the snoot on the
timing cover where it is brazed on inside is OK, they do crack over time
and the snoot leaks where you think it's the front seal.

Rear oil leak.......
Make absolute sure the eyebrow piece under the crankshaft in the back of
the block is perfectly flat with the block on assembly, use Holomar
gasket goop on it and a steel straight edge as you tighten up the 3
bolts. It is still just a scroll and will probably leak a little anyway
but if it's off just a bit, it's an oil gusher.

Check with Bill Masquelier <billmasq at hotmail.com> about his 5 speed kit.
I just used it on a Sprite, it can be used with the stock starter and
ring gear or with a Datsun starter and ring gear.
Either way, the price is right.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ