[Spridgets] More rear end problems

Michael Rowe mdrowe at optonline.net
Thu Sep 16 10:08:37 MDT 2010

I have always had a howling differential at high speed, which I take to mean worn gears.  But I am looking for a rumble back there, and I think it is not in the wheel bearings.

I can hear/feel rumbling at the hub when the shaft is in place, but when I take it out and move the hub with my hands, the bearings seem fine.  There is a slight "feel" indicating they should be replaced, but not the heavy rumbling I get when the shaft is engaged with the differential.  So what causes low-speed rumbling in the differential?

Michael Rowe
'74 Bugeyed Midget