[Spridgets] bearing noise

Gerard pixelsmith at gerardsgarage.com
Tue Sep 14 13:39:54 MDT 2010

Michael,

Next places to check are the rear U-joint (chances are it's the same
vintage/condition as the front one) and the differential pinion
bearing. You might be able to get an idea of the pinion bearing wear
by dropping the driveshaft and feeling if the is any noticeable side-
to-side play. If end up replacing those bearings (there is an inner
and outer bearing set), don't forget to get a new distance piece
(these are collapsable and only one time use) and a new oil seal. You
should review the R & R procedure in the Bentley manual to make sure
this is something you want to tackle as it does require some
additional tools. Other issue might be too much backlash. While you
have it apart, check the rear wheel bearing as well. Might be worth
replacing in the process anyway.

Gerard