[Spridgets] Definition needed....Targa

Ron Soave soavero at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 28 19:38:12 MDT 2010

--- On Thu, 10/28/10, Peter Caldwell <peter at nosimport.com> wrote:
> Thank you, John.
> That is the only way I can reconcile the term with Florio
> and
> Newfoundland rallies (rallyes?(apologies to Satch)) among
> others.

That is not exactly the correct spirit of the word. "Shield" is a literal definition. Colloquially in certain regions of Italy, it means "Plate", which is the prize of the rallies Florio and Newfoundland. In Targa Newfoundland, you get a Targa plate (looks like a metal dinner plate) if you finish 100% percent of the stages, I think it was this year, and do them within a certain time window (not the zero-penalty time, but some percentage of that). We medaled for finishing, but did not get a plate 'cause we decided to go as fast as we could instead of following the rules and being bored.

Ron