[Spridgets] Bugeye with trunk

Guy R Day grday at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 12 05:56:20 MST 2010

I, amongst others, will have no doubt the company Linda has mentioned is
capable of making and fitting a trunk lid fitted to the air freshened
(rusted) bugeye that was advertised.  This would not make it fitted when
built, it would make it fitted after export.  This does not make it a
factory prototype.
Unless you can produce evidence this lid was fitted by the factory, and by
that we mean photographs or written reports/parts lists/invoices/bill of
sale etc then it wasn't fitted by the factory and it wasn't a factory
prototype.  Chase the history of the vehicle properly and find out when the
modification was done rather than listening to hearsay.
I know of two brothers who ran a garage that rebuilt a Rolls Royce and made
it into a long wheel base (something Rolls Royce didn't do - that was down
to the Bentley line) and it was later inspected by Rolls Royce's own vehicle
inspectors and the AA's chief engineer because Rolls Royce did not make such
a vehicle and the guy who had asked our men to make his car into a long
wheel base had put it up for sale.  The new owner knew that RR did not make
such a model.  Neither of these two groups of very knowledgeable hands-on
engineers could tell what the garage had done  to make this unique vehicle.
Putting something as simple as a boot lid in a panel would be done blindfold
by the two brothers who did that car!
Whilst on an ABS system braking course at Sandwell, Birmingham (UK) we
wandered round with the lecturer one lunch time and into the training shop
for panel beaters.  He showed us an unblemished Mini (Mk1) wing and pointed
out this had been made from a flat piece of metal.  He then said that it was
to be crushed and re-beaten into a mini wing again so the student could pass
his course; he was quite confident the student would do this.
That trunk lid is something for a skilful tin-basher to do if he has broken
an arm and is waiting for it to mend.

Guy R Day